Friday, August 14, 2009

Ovanes Berberian Painting Class




The first week in June, 2009, I drove from Provo, UT (after visiting with Erica and kids) to Rigby, ID for a 5 day painting class with an artist named Ovanes Berberian. I took the class because he is heralded as one of the greatest 'colorists' on earth and because David Dunlop was going to Italy again this year and I wanted to stay close to home because of my little building project. I was not all that impressed as the first day wore on as there wasn't much instruction, in fact, we saw little of Mr. Berberian at all and we were all pretty much left to painting random still lifes of fake flowers and old pottery left on boxes around his yard. The second day my opinion change drastically as it was raining so hard outside (though we were under huge umbrellas) the water was splashing onto our pallettes so Ovanes herded us into his studio for a demonstration. And what a demonstration. What paintings. I was amazed, bowled over, in absolute awe watching this man paint. No one says a word, the classical music takes off and so does he. I have seen nothing like it. How I wish I could paint like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment